Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quick update

Just a quick note to bring everyone up to date. I went to Seattle last week, and learned that doctors aren't all that different. If they are in big cancer centers, they "usually" have a given protocol, but they don't always follow it. So there was no committee review, the doc hadn't looked at the images, and he started the conversation off by telling me how smart he was compared to local oncologists in the Northwest. Hot on the heels of that conversation, a nice story in Newsweek about the reasonably consistent results between specialized cancer centers and community-based care on "the easiest cancers, breast, colon and lung" treatments.

Second, I'm caught in an insurance maze. After more money than practically anyone can count, my docs are having to push on my insurance carrier to authorize the radiation beads. I'm not too worried, because there are actually only a few guys authorized to do the beads in the country, and they all know each other. So having my isssue "sent out" for consulting will result in someone my doc knows looking at the background, rather than some medical director paid by an insurance company.

In the meantime, call or write if you've missed any UEFA Cup soccer. I've seen more amazing goals and stunning comebacks this week than usual, it is easy to see how we Americans think our football and baseball play-offs garner more money than anything on the planet. These games aren't even to the quarterfinals, yet, and the huge stadia are selling out, worldwide TV coverage is on tap. And....we have a LONG way to go if we think American soccer players are really ready for the international stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home