Saturday, August 15, 2009

...oh....AND

I had a dear friend warm my heart in a way he couldn't understand this week. Commonly known as "Our Captain," one of my high school buddies called to check in this week. Not that we're terribly close, we may not have spoken in a year or so. But when he said he'd be in Oregon this weekend, he didn't really grasp that Roseburg is three hours away--and thought we might spend some time together.

That, however, was not the heartwarming news. This is how THAT went...

"Marky, I had a colonoscopy, finally, because of you...."

"Great...how did it go?"

"Well, they removed four polyps that had been growing awhile, apparently..."

"Removed...that's a good thing. I'm so glad you did that, Captain."

You see, without such a scan, those polyps would have continued to grow, eventually driving the Captain to the oncologist and all this turmoil. To know that even ONE person avoided that journey because of me makes me feel like I've made a difference in this world. One friend at a time is fast enough.

Congratulations, Captain...there might not be many who know you, but readers of this blog that know their Captain is OK will be tickled to death...This journey doesn't need to be a team sport because we wear the same medical equipment...the team is the group that stands alongside and chants, "T C T F O"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home