Monday, October 19, 2009

Alpe d'Huez

On this short sabbatical, I simply must get more exercise. It will not only improve my physical well-being, but regaining an ability to run will help my mental attitude immensely. I can’t run with Lizzie when I visit her. It is difficult to track down fly balls with Connor and Caleb. My legs hurt after a wine-tasting trip.

Near my home, there is a hill that extends from the high school to the top of West Linn. Not quite a mile in length, it rises slightly more than 500 feet if one is to believe the topographic maps. It turns out that although it is much shorter, this is the same vertical climb that the Tour de France achieves at l’Alpe d’Huez. It has become my personal goal.

I’m 15-20 pounds too heavy, have little lung capacity, and need to regain lots of muscle tone to accomplish this goal. Thankfully, the uphill challenge is not difficult for my Achilles problems, and I should be able to strengthen my legs and calves during the uphill run each day until I can overcome those tendonitis issues on flat ground, too.

Right now, completion is a distant target. I can only make it about a tenth of a mile up, and yet I return each day to try and add another 40-50 yards to my best distance. As I continue up the hill, I’ll comment from time to time on the progress…until I’ve achieved the goal. When the time comes that I can get to the top, you can be sure that I’ll be slimmer, stronger, and far happier. Billy sent me a note the other day, suggesting that Frank Hiatt wouldn't let medical treatments get in the way of Cross Country practice, so I'll do my level best to continue each day. Coach Hiatt would expect nothing less.

1 Comments:

At 6:40 PM , Blogger Liz said...

Good luck! You might try alternating with walks up Webb. That hill is a killer, but short!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home