Thursday, October 08, 2009

Arterial Flow

The angiogram this week went well. Not only does the interventional radiologist need to route the pathways that the radiation will take by using dye, he needed to insure that none traverses my liver by some mysterious route and might attack my stomach or other internal organs. Keeping the nuclear weapons near the target(s) is critical, but it is just as critical that we don’t create abscesses or ulcers elsewhere--"collateral damage" if we're using the war analogy, Lizzy.

Dr. Bauer closed off two little arterial flows by using coils, just like others may have had to protect from aneurisms. They block the future bloodflow, so that the nuclear beads go in the right places.

Otherwise, everything showed that I’m an excellent candidate for these Y-90 beads. (“SIRT Yttrium 90” for those of you who love to search via your favorite tool.) The Australians have been using this technology since the late 90’s, it was approved for use in the US only in 2002. Dr. Bauer is one of four guys authorized for the procedure in Oregon, highly respected in his ability and knowledge of the technology. Judy and I met with him for about 30 minutes when I awakened, he discussed my individualized anatomy and showed us pictures of the work he’d done via computer screen.

I recuperated well Wednesday, with a 81 at Pumpkin Ridge. No birdies, two doubles. Bumpy greens that had been punched about ten days ago. GREAT day! No wind, 65 degrees. Great friend Alex got to listen to me complain about putting and prognosis. He managed 84, and played good "friend golf" by bogeying the last two holes allowing me to surge ahead. (surge??)

After, I scheduled the visit to the Hutchinson Cancer center. (
http://www.seattlecca.org/) Highly considered here in the Northwest, it is the nearest logical choice for a secondary opinion. I’m fully convinced that Dr. Chang’s advice, and Dr. Bauer’s up-to-the-minute knowledge, are best for me. I just want to know that we’re not missing anything, that there aren’t new trials or experimental techniques we should be considering. It will be a long day to drive up, it has taken a lot of time to get them the diagnostics and previous reports…but the ability to sleep well at night will be enhanced.

That takes place on October 15. The following week, likely the 20-21 of October, I’ll go in for the radiation work. Then the ten day quarantine, avoiding the opportunity to radiate any little children or pregnant women. I should be back to work, if all goes well, on November 2. It is a relief to know the pathway, giving me time to visit with friends, play golf with others, and spend an hour photographing sunrise in the Gorge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home