Tuesday, September 22, 2009

No Glow!

Oddly enough, there are some interesting restrictions should we take the radioactive pathway. No, I won’t be glowing in the dark, nor will my eyes turn bright colors. In the same way that people should avoid multiple X-Rays unless they really need them, I’ll be asked to stay away from small children and pregnant women for nearly three weeks, until the radiation exits my body. I can be around adults, but no more than an hour for every six hours, and no closer than six feet…for about a week. Dr. Bauer says it will be a bit like I’m quarantined with H1N1 flu, but I’ll feel better. At the same time, given the re-emergence of the flu bug, it will be important to stay away from crowds in airports, public transit, etc.

So as I look ahead, and anticipate the best outcome, it is pretty relaxing to know that Monday will be my last day of work for awhile. Dragging this 800-pound gorilla through so many conversations is pretty taxing, although people are so warm and compassionate. We had dinner with Stewart and Kara Saturday night, and the gorilla stayed in the other room the entire evening. No explanations, no science, no game plan. I can't tell you how nice it is to do that now and then, though I realize people simply want to know the next mile post.

More when I know more. For now, it is working through Monday, off on Tuesday. Angiogram at the tail of next week, then a trip to Seattle for a second opinion. The procedure should happen the 10-16 of October, though it will only take one of those days. Then I almost glow, but stay away from people for another couple of weeks. I'm of a mind to go set off all the alarms at the airport, just to pay back the Transportation and Safety Administration for all the grief they cause we travelers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home