Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A large, but very small, club...

As I've mentioned in this space before, there are many different reminders that those with cancer belong to an intimate club that seems pretty large...Tony Snow, Leroy Seivers, Jay Monahan, Randy Pausch....and thousands upon thousands who never really hit the paper.

Today, some news hit the wires that should make all of us stop and think. At the same time, what could a better answer be than this...?

"I would rather not have it. But the cancer is part of me. It's given my life color and texture. Everyone has to get something. Some people are ugly, some people are stupid. I got cancer," she said at lecture in Denver .

Dr. Jerri Nielsen FitzGerald, who diagnosed and treated her own breast cancer before a dramatic rescue from the South Pole, has died. She was 57.


For more of the story, in case you've lost track, go to:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062403094.html

Hundreds of people pass away each day, depending on which statistics one reads. Not very many, however, reach the level of peace and awareness that Dr. FitzGerald accomplished. Those close to her miss her more today than they did yesterday, and will miss her more tomorrow than today.

When you think you're cold, or lonely, or confused....think about getting chemotherapy infusions in Antarctica, airlifted in the dead of winter to a drop zone completely dark. Even an opium den in Tualatin beats that. My basic complaint was that I couldn't get wireless in the new clinic. Sheeeesh!

Oh, and I guess that means I'm not ugly, nor stupid. Thank goodness for little treasures...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home