Friday, June 12, 2009

Lucky Me...

During this past week, The Doctors Company held its annual gathering of corporate officers. This year, someone had to keep the nice people at Ritz Carlton (San Francisco) busy, so it was us. Weather delightful, got a lot accomplished. Unfortunately, however, it comes with a story....

On Sunday, several of us were treated to a windy day on the bay. After tackling San Diego's Misson Bay last year, we thought we were ready for one of the world's most impressive sailing playgrounds. This year, the playground won.

As we were tacking in 30+ mile per hour winds, fighting a four foot swell, Markyboy went down in a heap. My knees and elbows bore the brunt of the fall, but I basically came in for a landing on my cheek. This, less than a month after getting my teeth fixed from LAST year's fall.

I immediately checked all my teeth, and then looked everywhere for broken bones. No, my nose wasn't broken. No, there were no sharp edges on any teeth. No, I was not bleeding anywhere. Everything hurt, but nothing was seriously damaged. The best news I've had in a long time. Even more impressive than good internal diagnostics.

Now, before accusations start to fly....

No, there were no adult beverages on the boat. This was serious corporate "bonding."

Yes, there was ice so that I could prevent major swelling.

Yes, it was slippery, and I'm not in great shape.

No, we didn't win any sailing trophies.

After a couple of hours under an ice pack, and a little mouse on my cheek, I headed off to the first dinner of the meeting. Others were quite concerned, but the results weren't as impressive as they'd been warned.

Phew....another week and we head off to diagnostics, when we really find out how lucky I have been this past couple of months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home