Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Round Two...or is this Fourteen??

If there is any good news to all of this, I score better on Finance quizzes on chemotherapy weeks than when I'm off. And since this is the fifth/last quiz before the Final in two weeks, I'll have this session and next to hit the tests hard. Silver linings abound!

Last week was a bit more challenging than a normal chemotherapy week. I broke out in a rash as a result of the either: a) the study drug Vertibix, b) exposure to the lovely Palm Desert sun or c) the long day and stressful drive back from Disneyland. In keeping with a quiz week, the answer is likely: d) all of the above. But it caused Dr. Chang so much concern that he got out his Blackberry to send a digital shot to the study sponsor, asking if she had seen such results from any of the other 247 study participants. He apologized for the level of the dosage, and would be checking further with the study's researchers.

As I write this, a week after the "bloom," I feel really well. The break-out ended over the weekend, now I'm just peeling from the sun exposure. Another silver lining...shot 42 on the front with my friend Jon Egge and Jillian, and could easily have gone in the tank for the rest of the day. Slipped in a couple of birdies on the backside, missed two birdie putts, and ended with 36 for 78. "Fubarians, we had 'em right where we wanted 'em after the first nine..." And in case you're curious, it is indeed possible to miss a fairway that is more than 150 yards wide.

In the last chemotherapy session, I grew more quickly fatigued than the first few in Journey One. I rested, used the phone and email for any work that needed doing, and ate as best I could. This morning, with 24 hours on the pump so far, I feel well...but am taking it really easy, too. House chores and some phone calls will be the limit today, I think. Down five pounds from two weeks ago, not a bad sign...

Perhaps I should re-title this, or open another blog called "Mark's Movie Reviews from the Opium Den..." Last time, "The Shooter." This time, "The Farmer Astronaut." Billy Bob Thornton and Virginia Madsen star in "Space Cowboys meet Field of Dreams" which doesn't usually excite me much...stories that have been done before. Since the actual story that has been done before is Don Quixote and Tilting at Windmills, I suppose I shouldn't single out this one. They even begin the movie with a wide shot of the Astronaut Farmer riding his horse against the sunset, in case we forgot our HS English class....

It was lovely. Photography was great, the story of a family building dreams together was heartwarming, and the little digs at our current world situation were worth a giggle.

Stay tuned for another riveting movie review in two weeks. In the meanwhile, Life is Good! I hope your Thanksgiving was a delight, however you chose to spend it...and that you're looking forward to December with as the eager anticipation of a young child. Think of some new windmills for 2008!

People are so nice to ask about me, my health, the kids. Thanks so much for including us all in the special prayers we're reminded of each week. If it takes a Village to Raise a Child, it takes an extended family to manage this Journey...and I couldn't do it without every single person who takes the time and care to zip email notes, slip silly cards in the mail, or put up with my semi-cranky moods. If I thought I appreciated you all last time, that goes nowhere close to how valuable everyone is this time around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home