Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I think I'll use my Mulligan

If you take a minute to look back at the lastest post from the summer, this note will come as a bit of a surprise to you. Lizzy's wedding was wonderful...when I get a minute over the next few weeks I'll learn to post pictures and show you what I mean. However, the 'oh, things are just great' got a bit of a setback this past month, and we're back in the blogging business for real.

My annual CT scan indicated cancerous growths in my liver. The only way they get there is from the original colon cancer, so somehow the nasty little cells hid from the first round of chemotherapy and nestled in my liver. From the positive side of the coin, we performed at 'PET' scan head to toe, and learned that there is no other cancerous involvement throughout my body. Not the bottom of the lungs, the kidneys, any lymph nodes or brainstem. THAT would be even more serious. This is serious enough, thanks.

Tomorrow I have another port implanted. Monday (11/12), I begin what is called the "Folfiri" regimen, another series of twelve sessions over alternating weeks. The best news is that the oxaliplatin that challenged my fintertips, toes and taste buds will not be in the cocktail. I'll be able to drink very cold water, and stand the physical challenge of cold weather. My body is likely to demand more rest, and I'll work harder with consistent exercise. I see this as my second chance at a diet routine to lose 25 pounds or so...I'll keep you posted.

I'm anxious, but confident. The Fubarians have been wonderful, Judy is a superhero, the people at work are very accommodating. This "round" is more difficult emotionally, becuase I know that it impacts the kids in new and frightening ways, and every person with whom I speak is surprised. Things had, indeed, been going so well.

I'll keep this post short, and let the news sink in. Next week, from the chemotherapy infusion den, I'll probably have more to say. For now, I'm hustling to get work all settled, make plans for our trip to Palm Desert with Jon & Nancy, and figure out how in the world I'll command a passing grade in the final Masters' class...Finance.

Please don't worry about me...I'll stay busy, stay in touch, and just keep playing. YOU, on the other hand, will get a colonoscopy done, you'll hug those nearest you, and smile when you think about how much fun we'll all have when we see each other next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home