Monday, April 19, 2010

Appreciation...

Today I was surprised at the large conference we're attending when a good friend and client from Oregon thanked me, mentioned that I'd be "out of action for awhile" and paid me some wonderful professional compliments in front of the entire crowd. I'm a very lucky boy. Good thing it was inappropriate for me to say more than "thank you," which would have made it look like I wasn't surprised, because my emotions have been fairly near the surface all week.

One of my business contacts in Idaho suffered a fatal coronary just days ago, we learned at this meeting, and I'd just seen him awhile ago...learning of his plans for retirement, time with family and his favorite fishing streams. No one really knows the date when your number gets drawn...is it better to plan ahead, hope for the future and put family through trials and tribulations, or is it better to have the family shock of an "immediate departure?"

Others, whom I barely know and certainly can't say that I know well, have been so kind...not only adding to the public comments from today's session, but privately sharing some of their recent personal challenges. So many have faced cancer issues, even though I know the numbers I remain surprised when I learn who...and what kind, and how recently someone may have been diagnosed. We are not alone, yet sometimes we feel like our family is the only one facing difficulty.

And appreciating one another, more than we do already, is a primary goal of my upcoming sabbatical. I really, really appreciate the help and gracious support...family, friends, barely acqaintances...it matters every single time someone asks, tells me how good I look, or wonders how the kids are doing. "How's Judy holding up?" "What do you have planned after May?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home