Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Patience....??

The wait for the diagnostic test continues. I've always been terrible at waiting. "Can we play through?" is a favorite phrase on the golf course. Even when I was taking ski lessons in college I thought waiting in the lift line was a waste. Probably one of the reasons that sport never hit home and held. I figured that warming up on a run meant it was time to get back on the lift and try another....but others thought it best to stand in line and socialize awhile before returning to the mountain-top. This waiting for an important test, unfortunately, can't be rushed.

I'm learning that the best approach and mental attitude was offered by my fly-casting instructor. Ron Lauzon was terrific, we had our "on the water" class this past weekend. (http://theflyfishinginstructor.com/ ) Oregon weather cooperated. It was sunny, about 60 degrees, and there was very little wind--just enough to show us how wind affected our casts. With the few members in the class, the day evolved into a series of twenty-minute private lessons. Ron could watch us, compliment our technique, and then "lay his hands" to our rod. It was almost magical, the way that he'd easily improve our technique, just by setting his wrist alongside ours, and helping us mimic his movements. No more casting to the swing set in the playground, or avoiding the rims in the gym. This was a REAL river, known for its steelhead runs...but we were only casting bits of yarn lacking hooks.

Two important lessons. First, take the time to watch the river and try to match its patience. There is nothing to rush. Neither the line in the air, nor the fly on the water, can move any faster than the river's pace. Enjoy the scenery...and pay attention to lesson number two. The important part of the cast is NOT to watch the fly land...far better to watch the extension of the line and the end of the cast...and then to watch the fly perch upon the surface. If you look down, to the landing zone, you haven't achieved full extensions. (Don't I now sound like an expert? What I am is a really good parrot, mimicking what we learned. "AWwwwk, cracker?")

The waiting continues. The weather gets better. I'll see some Prop Pops for St. Patrick's Day, something like our fifth or sixth together. I'm not sure we'll catch the state Dance Tournament at night, but that's where this began. I fly to Coeur d'Alene for work on Friday. The weekend is supposed to be nice, perhaps with some lazy casts that actually have HOOKS on the end. Monday will come the test, Wednesday will provide the results. In the meantime, friends think I've gone overboard on this casting thing...and that it will wear off eventually. It may, just in time for me to actually hook a steelhead, fight him awhile, and then know that the next time will be the best time.

For those of you who have to help me wait, you have my sincere thanks. Poor Judy thinks I'm distracted and not very much fun to be around...but she's patient and so incredibly helpful, even when she isn't feeling well. At work, Kelly has decided to take ten days off, I'm insufferable with things that we need to get done. We'll get through all this, make decisions, and move on. But for now, I'm standing in a crappy lift line, wondering why everyone else is so happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home