Sunday, February 07, 2010

Super Sunday...

Who'd have guessed that the Anointed One would throw an interception with the game on the line? No SportsTalk radio here, I didn't really care who won...aside from the various rumblings that Manning might be better than Joe Montana, because Montana had a better supporting cast. When Peyton has four rings, we'll talk about it. His eyes didn't have it tonight, but Joe's piercing look through his career commanded respect.

Such a nice weekend. Super Bowl party with some doc friends, relaxing and listening to their journeys for sports. As the eldest in the room, and kids who've played so many sports, it is a delight to hear that others are off to Spokane, Bend, or somewhere distant to watch their kids. More of a relief, though is that no one in attendance knew my health status. I wasn't explaining diagnostics, thanking others for complimenting me on my looks, or trying to deflect conversation away from personal challenges. I could just sit and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat. Isn't that the American Pastime on SuperBowl Sunday?

Jillian and I travel only as far as to watch the grandsons right across town, such an easy game. We get to watch Connor learn how to play with bigger kids. Caleb shooting with both hands because he doesn't even think whether he's left or right-handed. Nate would have loved it, I sounded just like him..."If the referee tried as hard as these kids, everyone would be better off." One simply can't referee from three-point arc to three-point arc when the kids can get up and down the floor in fifth and sixth grade, you actually have to ACT like you are paying attention. Kids want to listen and respect a referee, it is easy for them to lose that respect. I didn't really think that coaching in practice was my forte'. Scouting the kids on the floor was great fun--and coaching game situations was the best of all. Who can really box out? Who is balanced and moves their feet instead of trailing and fighting with their hands? Who can dribble with either hand and their head up? What's the best match up?

Wine tasting, with lots of seafood and chocolate on Friday night? Life is good!

And then, on the way home from a long weekend, the second flat tire I've experienced in my driving career. Truly a nuisance, never a task that fits into one's plans. As I was changing to the helpful mini-spare, I did some math. As much as I didn't want to waste the time with a flat, or dragging everything out of my trunk, I've probably driven 1.3 million miles in the forty years I've had my license. A flat tire every 650,000 miles isn't really much to worry about. I can remember exactly when we had the other...Nate and I were driving our Bronco north to Portland to trade it for a Ford van with Uncle Paul--and busily singing "Diamonds on the Souls of her Shoes" with Paul Simon. My traveling companion was about nine years old, just like Graceland....We drove that car five years, messed with the darn spare tire mounted on the back--entry door the whole time, and used the spare exactly once....when we were driving it to trade in. It will be fun to see how my friends at Les Schwab figure the deal out tomorrow.

And, while we're counting our blessings this weekend, I could have been shoveling snow for hours and hours. MUCH more fun to watch Billy's blog (http://www.wdepriest.com/) and the Weather Channel than to grab a shovel and go outside.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home