Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Countdown begins...

As a history buff, too often I hear little memories jangling about my head. Whenever I think "countdown" I'm reminded of getting up really early to watch Mercury, Gemini and Apollo shots, with that famous "Ignition Sequence ON" phrase in the background as you hear the "4--3---2----1----Liftoff..."

Head downtown to meet Judy, bus to her house, eat a big dinner since I don't get breakfast, get up early and be in the hospital by 7 am tomorrow. I’m wondering if I should dress up like J. Robert Oppenheimer, to see if they’ll notice when I walk into the short-stay unit. They’d probably just ask me if I wanted to keep the dorky hat nearby…On second thought, a more reasonable giggle would be to ink “Enola Gay” onto my crotch where they’ll shave me…as a reminder to Dr. Bauer that I’m the vessel carrying the weaponry. Oh, what Marky and a Sharpie can do for grins…! Think they’d repeat that story a few times in the surgical lounge?

I feel really well. The house is stocked with more food than the girls probably ever saw when we lived together. I’ve got frozen shrimp, taco makin’s, Italian sausage for both breakfasts and pasta dinners. Food in case I don’t feel like eating, meals in case I feel like devouring something more substantial. I’ll be making bread for various Thanksgiving feasts, and have stocked up on “sporting meals” for the various games I must watch.

Thankfully, the local cable outlet has decided to broadcast the UPortland women’s soccer play-off game on Friday night. Judy and I attended the second round game Sunday, a real battle between UP and UWashington. UW played a girl down for most of the second half, as one smart-aleck got double yellowed out within about five minutes. (I’m far too familiar with the double-yellow, smart-aleck sequence since the Pleasanton Over-30 days)…but just like the Dynomites, the rest of the team picked up their intensity and forced Portland to win it with only two minutes left…2-1. We haven’t seen a score that close in two or three years, let’s hope they can return to the blow-out mode against Virginia Tech.

People have been so nice to remember my timing for tomorrow. Had lunch with a favorite client today, even though I’m not supposed to be “working,” because she knew when I’d be locked up. Nate called to tell me he loved me, and keep me updated on the snowfall/weather in the Colorado Rockies. I’m going to be fine. If you want to consult the Heavenly Father, ask him to drop some snow on Vail while you’re at it.

Oh…and give praise and thanks for some lovely ladies who keep me smiling every day. Oscar and Billy are very lucky boys, we're lucky to have them in the family, too!

http://www.lizdepriest.blogspot.com/

http://vickieatvalpo.blogspot.com/

You Facebookers probably know this stuff already, but I’m not moving in that direction…

Thanks, to everyone. I’ll post an update when I know more and am more fully awake, likely Wednesday afternoon sometime. In the meantime, spend a little time with the History Channel because I'll be missing nearly two entire days of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home