Friday, November 07, 2008

Taking Possession of the Tee Box

This week went fairly well. Today, I'm home "resting comfortably" as if I was a rock star or politician. Doing a little email from work, and have had a couple of phone calls already.

The doc did the procedure pretty much on time on Wednesday. They introduced the little molecules of chemotherapy poisons directly into my liver, and that was uneventful. Through the afternoon, the pain rose and fell, along with feelings of nausea. Given that it was the "short stay unit" and nursing staff was ready to go home at five thirty, they even stayed later to see if we'd kick the pain and keep crackers down. ("What?? All this gastric excitement and no margarita to kick off the afternoon's adventure??")

Tthey had no choice but to admit me to get the pain under control. As luck would have it, about nine thirty, when I was calmly tucked into a room, I began to feel great and wondered why I was lying there. The nursing staff was great, I slept really well, and by morning I was ready for discharge.

The doc came by to check on me a couple of times in the evening, which was really impressive. Judy was at my side, thankfully, until I began to doze back and forth. Thursday, she came and got me and watched out for me through the afternoon. All in all, a pretty simple deal.

I'll rehab today, watch some sports tomorrow, and head down the class in CA on Sunday night. Sitting in class and not having to commute on will be more restful than working, another bonus of timing. By Thursday's return, I should be fit as a fiddle.

Thus far, I've experienced none of the bloating or fatigue of previous chemotherapy infusions, which is likely because of the targeted approach. Rather than flushing it through my whole system we're aiming right at the bad guys in the liver. I'm still drinking lots of water, helping it along...and following doctor's orders.

Thanks for the care and concern. I really DO feel well, and things are on the mend. I'll do it again in early December and early January, and the timing couldn't be more perfect. I just think of them as convenient tee times.

see ya soon!

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hey, Mark -- Glad to hear the latest development went well. Thinking of you and hoping you kick ass in your recovery. ;-)

Eileen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home