Thursday, August 21, 2008

Medicine is Art, not always Science

Here's the scoop from this morning. The real answer is that I'm "inconclusive." We know that I have recovered from the "rib trauma" very nicely. There are no areas of concern in lymph nodes, the spinal track, my kidneys, lungs or bones. Things could happen anywhere in that list, and I'm clean there. Phew....!

There is a probability of a small lesion on the outside of my liver. We can't tell from this test and have scheduled another early September. Nothing is life-threatening, time is not of the essence. That test will confirm or deny that it is a cancerous area. Right now, the docs simply can't tell. If it proves to be cancerous, the remedy is simpler than chemotherapy. Somehow a probe is inserted and microwaves cook the cancerous area. Once upon a time, this was done cryogenically, meaning they froze it off. Apparently the microwave technology is less damaging to the surrounding healthy cells, and not as taxing on the overall liver.

I'm in a positive mood, though a clean slate would have been nicer. For now, I feel great, we don't know for sure, and we have a relatively simple fix. Had there been more of these "ill-defined" areas, or something that was more visible like last fall, chemotherapy would have been the answer.

My body isn't responding perfectly, but it isn't just giving up, either.

I'll be fine...with everyone's help making such a terrific difference in my mood. I'm a very lucky boy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home